A farm fence is known to serve many purposes, yet, it is an overlooked asset.
Farm fences are necessary to contain livestock, define property lines and increase security. Moreover, it also helps in enhancing the farm’s aesthetic look as well.
Farm fencing is something that most farmers learn to do for themselves to save money. When it comes to maintaining and repairing the fence, that too is considered to be a DIY project by most farmers.
If you haven’t considered fixing your farm as a DIY project, you must take into account doing it.
While this will help you in keeping the herd off the roadway, you can always build the fence as you deem fit to meet the safety requirements.
Before we discuss the rebuilding of a farm fence any further, let us have a look at some different types of farm fences and their purposes.
Different Kinds Of Fencing And Their Purposes
Here are the various types of fencing that can be used for different farms.
• Fencing with Barbed Wire: It is the oldest fencing technology. This kind of fence is highly secured; however, this could be injurious if the person is not wearing proper protection.
• Fencing with Woven Wire: It is an economical choice for small farmers. It is best to use for perimeter and permanent fences and does not require an energizer to maintain its effectiveness.
• Fencing with High-Tensile Wire: High Tensile Wire is a type of fence wire suitable for many types of livestock. It has a rubber-band effect that makes it the most efficient and long-lasting fence type.
• Fencing with Electric Net: This type of farm fence is used to protect temporary paddocks for sheep, goats, poultry, or cattle. Electric net farm fencing is often utilized in pasture management.
Different Tools And Materials Required
Before you start building the farm fence, you need to arrange different tools and material that can easily be purchased from any of the hardware of farm supply store. These tools are as follows:
• Fence splitter
• Fence posts (steel, wood, fiberglass, etc.)
• Electric posts (fiberglass, steel, plastic, low conductivity wood)
• Wire and its cutter
• Fence staples
• Pliers and tape
• Others (nail, hammer, etc.)
Different Kinds Of Wood
Typically, wood is considered as best material for fence building as wood is readily available material from the farm and requires low maintenance.
While we use wood that is readily available from hardwood trees, the wood from lumber yards or Maitland Timber Supplies is generally softer wood and requires regular maintenance.
You may also choose pressure-treated lumber that would last for around seven years or consider using the vinyl-coated material of wood for dramatically increasing the fence’s longevity.
Repair Your Fence With Safety
Whenever you want to fix a farm fence, follow the steps discussed below and always take safety measures to keep yourself secured at all times.
• In the location of repair, De-kink and pull the wire reasonably tight. Make sure all the kinks are out. Create a loop at the split fence end and make a knot similar to fishing line.
• Use fence stretcher and stretch the wiring of the fence. Spread the clamp from stationary clamp as far away as possible. Once the fence is adequately tight enough, create another wire knot.
• It’s time to replace the missing staples from the fence. The best idea is to have the fence wire on the inside so that the animals do not break the staples.
However, always use lockout procedure to decrease the risk of crashing, move the heavy machinery after checking the area of power lines and always wear appropriate gear to perform the job.
Image: Pixabay CC0 License